New York or Washington, DC Metro
Perlman & Perlman, LLP, with offices in New York City and Washington, DC, is one of the nation’s leading law firms serving nonprofit organizations, fundraising companies and professionals, social enterprises, and for-profit companies engaged in philanthropy and cause marketing. Our scope includes traditional nonprofit legal matters as well as evolving areas of the law, in particular, social enterprise law. The firm serves as outside general counsel and special counsel to many of the nation’s leading nonprofit organizations, including public charities, private foundations, social welfare organizations, and trade associations, assisting on a wide variety of matters, including entity formation, charitable giving, and charitable solicitation, tax-exemption, contracts, corporate transactions, corporate governance, intellectual property and technology, litigation and employment. The firm is one of the nation’s largest and most respected providers of charitable fundraising registration and compliance services.
The Associate Attorney will be situated at the firm’s offices in Manhattan or Washington, DC. The ideal candidate is bright, energetic, reliable, a team player, and relates well to clients and colleagues. The person will demonstrate sound judgment and will be able to multi-task, learn and work collaboratively with the Partners and Associates to provide exceptional service to our clients.
The Associate Attorney will assist in a variety of matters for the firm’s clients, including providing strategic counsel, researching, and drafting documents relating to: (1) corporate governance documents and policies; (2) fundraising, licensing, consulting, and strategic partnership agreements; (3) federal and state tax and other laws affecting nonprofit organizations; (4) nonprofit mergers, asset transfers, and dissolutions; (5) litigation in state and federal court proceedings and regulatory enforcement actions; and (6) formation and operation of social enterprises and other socially responsible businesses.
We require a demonstrated interest in philanthropy which may include work experience, volunteer work, and/or board membership for nonprofits and charitable causes.
The successful candidate must possess the following qualifications and experience:
• Juris Doctorate from an accredited university and licensed to practice law in New York or Washington, DC;
• Excellent academic achievement;
• Excellence in legal research, legal analysis and written and oral communication;
• Self-starter with strong initiative, high productivity and strong work ethic;
• Values and thrives in a team-based approach; and
• Professional demeanor.
Candidates will be preferred who:
• 3+ years of experience advising on tax-exempt, nonprofit law issues (either at a law firm or in-house);
• Evidence leadership potential;
• Demonstrate a desire to develop subject matter expertise on critical issues affecting the nonprofit and social enterprise sectors; and
• Seek an opportunity to grow and build their own client base
For a complete job description and to submit an application, please use this link. Please, no phone calls or email inquiries.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : Legal / Compliance
Location : New York or Washington, DC Metro