WCS stands for wildlife and wild places. As the world’s premier wildlife conservation organization, WCS has a long track record of achieving innovative, impactful results at scale. We run field programs spanning 60 countries and the entire ocean. We build on a unique foundation: Our reach is global; we discover through best-in-class science; we protect through work on the ground with local and indigenous people; we inspire through our world-class zoos, aquarium, and education programs; and we leverage our resources through partnerships and powerful policy influence. Our more than 4,000 diverse, passionately committed team members in New York City and around the world work collectively to achieve our conservation mission.
WCS seeks an Associate Director of Corporate Engagement to help build and manage a strategic global corporate program that aims to raise $10M+ through philanthropic, sponsorship, membership, and cause marketing partnerships, and contributes towards an overall department goal of raising $150M+ annually in private philanthropy. You will be instrumental in helping WCS save 50% of the world’s biodiversity, create nature-based solutions to climate change, inspire the next generation of conservationists through our world-class zoos and aquarium, and more. This is an exciting opportunity to join a team of four, based at our Bronx Zoo headquarters in New York City, who are ambitiously growing corporate support at WCS.
You will play a key role in designing and executing a corporate fundraising strategy for a portfolio of 30+ identified donors and prospects, with a keen eye toward developing a pipeline of new high-potential prospects. You will have demonstrated success in corporate philanthropy—sponsorship experience a plus—with a track record of soliciting and closing six- and seven-figure gifts. You are a creative, entrepreneurial, organized, and highly motivated front-line fundraiser with exceptional communication skills, who thrives on meeting with donors and securing funding commitments. You will work with organizational leadership and Trustees to build relationships within the corporate sector, and you will work collaboratively with internal stakeholders, including program staff, to develop and implement funding opportunities for conservation initiatives around the world as well as capital and sponsorship support for zoological exhibits and education programs in NYC.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Corporate Engagement, the Associate Director will:
- Take a leadership role in developing and executing corporate engagement strategies in alignment with organizational priorities.
- Manage a portfolio of corporate relationships with high capacity and top potential to support the organization.
- With the support of the Global Resources Research team, build a qualified pipeline of new prospects based on programmatic interests and potential for WCS engagement.
- Create prospect plans for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship that include in-person and virtual meetings, concepts/letters of intents/proposals, reports, and executive and trustee engagement.
- Working with the Senior Director, help lead and serve as a resource for a talented team of professionals with expertise in corporate engagement.
- Prioritize key actions for the President & CEO; the CDO; the VP for Institutional Advancement; and other senior staff, offering guidance and counsel in the engagement of existing corporate partners and the cultivation of prospective new partners.
- Build collaborative relationships with staff across the organization, serving as a knowledgeable and accessible resource, and as a primary point of contact for Finance, Legal, the Executive Office, and operations staff in the engagement of corporate partners.
- Work in collaboration with conservation program staff, including the Markets Team, to identify and manage relationships with companies who engage in the key landscapes where WCS works.
- With support from the Global Resources Donor Communications team and Grant Development & Stewardship team, develop and review proposals, decks, agreements, reports, and correspondence to corporate donors and prospects. Ensure implementation of sponsorship/grant benefits and deliverables.
- Minimum 5 years in nonprofit philanthropy or corporate sector with demonstrated ability to strategically manage corporate relationships and secure 6- to 7-figure commitments from corporations with shared values.
- Strong leadership skills with a keen business sense and advanced understanding of fundraising best practices.
- A strong collaborator with demonstrated ability to build organizational consensus and inspire donors through clear and persuasive communications.
- Experience in a fast-paced environment overseeing and executing complex or multiple time-sensitive projects, including meeting financial goals, project deadlines, and administrative requirements.
- Ability to interface effectively with the highest level of WCS donors and senior staff members.
- Contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
WCS is an equal opportunity employer, and the organization complies with all employment and labor laws and regulations that prohibit discrimination in hiring and ensures that candidates from all backgrounds are fairly and consistently considered during the recruitment process. We are dedicated to hiring and engaging a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value. The organization provides equal employment opportunities for all qualified candidates. The organization does not discriminate for employment based on gender, race/ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, caste, genetic information or any other covered status or characteristic protected by laws and regulations/and similar categories.
It is everyone’s responsibility to ensure that we do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based upon a person’s membership in one of these protected categories in areas such as recruitment, selection, job assignment, supervision, training, promotions, job grading, transfers, termination, compensation, benefits, educational opportunities, WCS sponsored recreational activities and facilities.
The organization complies with the spirit and intent of relevant local laws and WCS’s employment policies. Note that the salary offer will reflect the selected candidate’s individual experiences, skills and qualifications, internal equity, work location and country of work.
$70,000 - $125,000
To apply, please click HERE
Job Type : Full-Time
Job Focus : Development
Location : The Bronx Zoo, Bronx, NY (Hybrid)
Salary Range : $70,000 - $125,000
Experience Level : Mid Level, Senior Level