At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of togetherness. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel inequity, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our democracy. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it.
Sierra Club has staff across the country and a network of local chapters that support our grassroots engagement. We are also proud to be a unionized employer - with two labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Scope: The Associate Director, Digital Advertising is responsible for leading the Sierra Club's digital advertising program. This position develops and executes a comprehensive strategy to drive goals across advocacy and political advertising, communications, and audience growth campaigns. This position provides the knowledge, skills, and tactical direction to be strategic across the evolving digital advertising landscape. In leading an in-house team, this individual works with a range of internal teams and stakeholders from our Programs, Communications and Digital Strategies departments to oversee dozens of campaigns at a time, often with high visibility and large budgets. This position requires skilled prioritization and effective management to run and optimize campaigns. The Associate Director serves national fundraising, communications, and advocacy efforts -- developing and implementing strategies across paid digital advertising to grow and develop our audience and activists.
Job activities include but are not limited to:
- Develop the annual plan and goals for advertising and paid list growth campaigns. Work with the Director, Digital Fundraising & Advertising to develop paid list growth plans, goals, and budget for existing and emerging digital channels.
- Manage Sierra Club's in-house ads team to lead our growth advertising program. This hands-on work includes identifying new opportunities to efficiently grow the Sierra Club's email and SMS audiences with quality leads, launching campaigns across a variety of digital channels, overseeing and developing creative and landing pages, running a robust testing program, coordinating schedules and budgets, and reporting on program and testing results.
- Oversee the advocacy and political digital advertising program for Sierra Club. Lead high visibility and high budget digital advertising campaigns from start to finish in conjunction with the Programs, Communications and Digital Strategies departments. Set high-level goals, provide strategy, recommend optimization opportunities, and determine best ways to allocate budget to maximize results and efficiency.
- Develop and implement advertising and growth strategies to reach key persuasion audiences, increase equity and representation across digital audiences, and achieve programmatic and communications goals.
- Lead advocacy and political work on Facebook Messenger. Build out action flows and interactive experiences, including large-scale GOTV efforts. Develop a testing roadmap, analyze results, and hone best practices to scale Sierra Club's Messenger audience, engage subscribers, and increase organizational loyalty.
- Analyze ROI data and develop KPIs to determine effectiveness of various channels and efforts.
- Spearhead initiatives to increase digital advertising knowledge, efficiency, and results across the organization. Identify best practices to socialize across departments, run trainings and presentations, and provide guidance to Chapters.
- Work collaboratively cross-departmentally to identify shared goals, budgets, and opportunities. Coordinate efforts with other departments to fully engage Sierra Club audiences and provide a cohesive supporter experience on digital channels.
- Manage and develop staff. Assign work and establish priorities, provide guidance and direction, give ongoing feedback and conduct performance evaluations, and provide training and development for professional growth.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- Significant experience in digital advertising, media planning, and growth marketing strategies. You are able to develop compelling concepts and messaging, guide creative and design for a wide variety of placements, and manage data-driven advertising strategies.
- High proficiency with major digital advertising platforms -- including Facebook/Instagram, Google/YouTube, Snap, and TikTok -- and social and display strategies that drive conversions.
- Demonstrated initiative in pursuing opportunities and understanding the ever-evolving digital advertising landscape. You understand how strategies are evolving with new platforms and technical changes in the space and identify tactics we should be testing (and those we shouldn't).
- Commitment to collaborating with others in a complex, dynamic organizational environment. You work to develop trust, find creative solutions, and form strong collaborative working relationships.
- Ability to develop and guide individuals with increased responsibility, scope, and effectiveness over time. You enjoy training individuals, helping prioritize work, and guiding staff toward a shared goal of effective advertising campaigns.
- Operationalizing Equity. You model effective equity analysis and practice and demonstrate a sophisticated understanding of how group dynamics impact supervisory relationships, organizational culture, partnerships, campaigns and coalition work. Your decision-making is consistent, intentional, and committed to creating equitable outcomes at all levels. You have led high-performing and leaderful teams across group identities. You intervene when challenging group dynamics play out, in ways that build understanding, trust, and deeper self-awareness of team members.
The strongest candidates will also demonstrate the following experience, skills and competencies:
- Experience with large-scale database management and nonprofit constituent relationship management systems. Salesforce experience is a plus.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented, especially with large budgets.
- Graphic and web design experience, skills, and knowledge of best practices.
- Testing and optimization experience, skills, and knowledge of best practices.
- Experience with messaging platforms, including Facebook Messenger and Chatfuel.
Compensation and Benefits
- The salary range for this position is $85,000 - $95,000 for salary Region I locations (e.g., Oakland CA, Washington DC).
- The Sierra Club offers a competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
- This is a category 4 exempt, non-represented supervisory position.
- Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
- Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee's manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition. The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
This position does not have an undergraduate education requirement. If you choose to include your education history, please remove your schools from your resume. You may leave your degree (e.g., “B.A. Philosophy”), but please remove any undergraduate and graduate school names.
This anonymous process is aimed at opening this opportunity to more candidates, reviewing applicants on performance assessments and mitigating bias in the decision-making process.
Lastly, we are intentionally not asking for a cover letter, so please do not send one in with your application.
We are accepting applications until 2/11/22.
TO APPLY, PLEASE CLICK HERE
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : Account Management, Development, Marketing/Communications
Location : Oakland CA, Washington DC, or Remote
Salary Range : $85,000 - $95,000 for salary Region I locations (e.g., Oakland CA, Washington DC)