Charity Navigator is looking for a Chief Program Officer (CPO) to join our team. This is an amazing opportunity to join the executive leadership team of the nation’s largest independent nonprofit evaluator at a moment of significant transformation and growth as we seek to make impactful giving easier for all.
What we’re looking for:
Charity Navigator seeks a visionary and talented leader to lead our ratings work. This is a unique opportunity to drive forward the unification of our Star Ratings and Encompass Ratings Systems, and continue to grow Charity Navigator’s ratings and resources. In July of 2020, we launched the Encompass Rating System scaling the number of nonprofits rated from 9,000 to nearly 200,000. The system continues to evolve including our first ratings of nonprofit impact, enabling donors to find nonprofits that are successfully advancing the causes they care about. We are looking for a strategic thinker with deep experience in nonprofit program development and evaluation to expand the depth and quality of our ratings through multiple releases each year. Finally, we seek an individual who can build relationships with various stakeholders within the social impact space in order to aggregate their collective intelligence into our ratings.
The Chief Program Officer (CPO) leads the development, design and implementation of Charity Navigator’s nonprofit ratings. This includes both the methodology of the evaluations and the data collection and data analysis used to generate those ratings. The CPO will drive evaluation ratings evolution and output. The role requires a systems thinker who is creative, analytical, and operational.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build and manage a high-performing team focused on excellence in execution, data-driven learning and delivering results
- Participate as a key, collaborative member of the Executive Team to ensure that Charity Navigator meets its goals.
- Engage subject matter experts, nonprofit leaders, and donors to build, improve, and validate methodological choices.
- Implement data-driven analytics frameworks to drive beacon success for scalability and adoption by donors and nonprofit organizations.
- Participate in grant writing and grant reporting for funded programs.
Ratings and Program Development
- Lead the design and evolution of nonprofit ratings, ensuring that high-quality ratings are delivered and updated regularly at scale.
- Lead the development and execution of the product roadmap for version releases and explorations in a timely manner through effective use of internal resources, external partners, and vendors.
- Leverage and enhance the nonprofit portal and continuously build data partnerships to ensure ongoing data for nonprofit evaluation.
- Oversee the modernization and maintenance of information management systems including data integration, data quality, and data management technologies.
- Enable analytics, research, and data visualization practices.
- Strong analytical reasoning skills.
- Comfortable conducting research, including but not limited to literature reviews and collecting and analyzing data.
- Collect and analyze data from nonprofits and user testing
- Find and build sources of nonprofit data for each of the domains, with attention to the wide variety of causes and categories.
- Orientation towards ongoing learning.
- Champion agile practices in program development, partnering with technology staff for ongoing development of ratings and portal.
- Guide and support programs and projects that provide donors with more data to incorporate into their philanthropic decision-making processes.
- A passion for the mission and values of Charity Navigator.
- A record of successful leadership in organizations undergoing transformation, and a record of effective management of team leaders with diverse backgrounds and experience levels.
- Ability to work directly with Boards of Directors and executive committees
- Skilled communicator who can influence others and create an open and trusting environment that promotes dialogue while driving results.
- Excellent community engagement skills with demonstrated experience in building strong partnerships; an effective network builder.
- Measurement & evaluation systems design and development.
- Experience with product deployment.
- Working knowledge of change management practices.
- Extensive knowledge of program management, monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience leading all stages of program development from ideation, pilot, and experimentation to execution and evaluation.
- Flexibility and initiative, with the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with others for productive outcomes.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrably strong planning and organization skills; ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously with attention to accuracy and detail.
Reports to: President & CEO
- VP of Program Analyst Operations
- VP of Programs & Strategic Partnerships
- VP of Impact Ratings
- VP of Culture & Community
- [VP of Leadership & Adaptability] (to be hired)
- Others as appropriate
Location: This position is remote with occasional travel required to the New York City metro area and the organizational headquarters in Saddle Brook, NJ.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Base Salary Range: $170,000 - $190,000
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance (including coverage for your dependents)
- Life & Disability Insurance
- 20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 9 paid holidays in your first year
- Retirement savings with up to 3% match of base salary
- Flexible spending and dependent care accounts
To apply, please click HERE or to apply with Indeed, please click HERE.
Charity Navigator is the world’s largest and most-utilized independent nonprofit evaluator. The organization guides informed giving by evaluating the financial health, accountability, transparency and impact of charities and by providing data about 1.7 million nonprofits, accessed more than 10 million times annually. Charity Navigator does not charge the organizations it evaluates, ensuring unbiased evaluations, nor does it charge the public for this trusted data. As a result, Charity Navigator, a 501(c)(3) public charity itself, depends on support from individuals, corporations, and foundations that believe it provides a much-needed service to America's charitable donors.
Charity Navigator provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender, disability, genetics or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local law.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Executive
Job Function : Executive / C-suite
Location : Saddle Brook, NJ (Fully Remote)
Salary Range : Our salary range for this role is $ $170,000 - $190,000