Staff work a hybrid schedule with 2 days/week in the office
The International Fund for Animal Welfare is looking for a dynamic and energetic candidate to join our global communications team as Communications Manager for the U.S. This person will work to drive cross-channel visibility for the organization with a focus on traditional and digital earned media and advocacy work. The ideal candidate will be someone who inherently connects with the brand and is able to self-motivate and work inter-departmentally on integrated strategies and execution of plans. They must be a creative storyteller at heart, know how to craft a media-worthy narrative and bring a robust network of influential contacts to the table. A background in policy or government relations is preferred, and the ability and passion to navigate diverse, complex and controversial subject matter is a must.
Role and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic counsel to US Country Office and global comms staff on managing IFAW’s profile and reputation in the U.S.
- Pro-actively identify and implement IFAW PR and media strategies in concert with U.S. staff.
- Secure regular high quality and high volume media coverage, engage effectively with the daily news cycle, set-up interviews, and help position staff based in the U.S. as thought leaders.
- Effectively guide and manage PR agencies/contractors for PR support, with the main objective of driving high volume media coverage to help build IFAWs brand.
- Pro-actively position IFAW as a (thought) leader by developing stakeholder communication strategies to help build and grow key networks and provide mentorship, guidance and support to regional/in-country marketing and communications staff to inspire new thinking and deliver best-in-class results
- Write, execute and manage campaign communication plans to bring to life IFAW’s projects across channels in a way that builds credibility and helps strengthen IFAW’s position amongst institutional and government funding bodies
- Pro-actively and continuously, pitch IFAW’s work to global and national media outlets, securing quantity and quality coverage at an ongoing basis and establishing a network of journalists and outlets that will be key in raising awareness for the urgency of the world most pressing issues. Confident in hosting and facilitating journalist visits as well as handling media inquiries in a highly professional manner
- Develop pitches, press releases, media briefings and other press materials such as speech writing and talking points when needed.
- Manage and build relationships with high-value media and digital influencers, attract celebrities to support IFAW for specific campaigns, events or projects
- Own crisis communications in the U.S., inclusive of monitoring issues, developing statements and collaborating with regional and global teams where necessary.
- Support and promote events for IFAW in Washington and around the US to drive campaign impact and organizational visibility.
- Coordinate with U.S. staff on the production of all printed or digital collateral materials.
- Report quarterly metrics to quantify performance by category and relative to competitors.
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of animal welfare and conservation issues as well as other related issues, keeping abreast of new developments in connection with campaign initiatives. Ensure the U.S. Director and program staff are kept fully briefed.
- Actively participate in both U.S. country meetings and global communications team meetings, acting as the liaison for inspired transparency and sharing relevant information and activities in both directions.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- 7+ years of experience in PR and communications with expertise in writing and editing, strategy and plan development and execution, media relations, campaign and monitoring and measuring performance. Supporting communication across all external facing channels, including social media.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- Excellent writing and editing skills; understand the elements of what makes a good story; speak, write and edit succinctly and compellingly, for different audiences and channels.
- Demonstrated track record of success in developing, prioritizing, and managing integrated, multi-channel ROI-oriented communications strategies.
- An ability to learn, dissect and distill highly complex subject matter and convey appropriately to target audiences.
- Strong knowledge of digital communications, emerging platforms, and engaging key digital influencers
- Extremely well organized; excellent problem-solver and team player; able to effectively multitask while maintaining professionalism and
- Able to prioritize and manage time effectively, and to balance competing demands and priorities in a fast-paced
- Strong leadership skills to maintain high standards and coordinate staff
- Flexible, diplomatic, detail-oriented style with professional, positive
- Self-starter with a high level of professionalism and demonstrated initiative, judgment, decisiveness and
- Availability for global travel
- Proficiency with Spanish language helpful
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Familiarity with media monitoring platforms (Onclusive) preferred.
To apply, please CLICK HERE
At IFAW, we aim to create and foster a workforce that reflects and contributes to the diverse, global community in which we work to improve the lives of both animals and people. We are dedicated to fostering justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion so we actively encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid Level
Job Focus : Marketing/Communications
Location : Staff work a hybrid schedule with 2 days/week in the office