Development Intern, Spring 2023
Development Intern, Spring 2023
Physicians for Human Rights (PHR), which shared in the Nobel Peace Prize in 1997, is a U.S.-based international advocacy organization working at the intersection of medicine, science, and law. With a global network of thousands of medical, scientific, and legal experts, PHR uses the power of medical and scientific evidence to document human rights and humanitarian law violations and prevent abuses, protect survivors, and promote justice and universal human rights for all.
Building upon its highly respected place in the field, and supported by a committed and talented team, PHR seeks a Development Intern.
Reports to: Director of Individual Giving
Physicians for Human Rights was founded in 1986 by five physicians who were united in the belief that health professionals, with their specialized skills, ethical duties, and credible voices, are uniquely positioned to prevent harm and promote respect for human rights. Since its founding, PHR has built a long and distinguished record of accomplishment by conducting groundbreaking investigations and advocacy, in concert with strategic partners.
PHR’s approach includes extensive documentation of the use of illegal and inhumane weapons in armed conflicts, attacks on civilians, and the physical and psychological impacts of torture and sexual violence as a weapon of war. Other core activities include protecting the rights of those seeking asylum in the United States, the human rights implications of the COVID-19 pandemic, and halting attacks on medical facilities and frontline health professionals.
PHR’s development internship allows one student who is interested in a nonprofit fundraising, philanthropy and cultivation of organizational supporters. The fundraising intern will be given insight into the day-to-day operations of an international human rights organization’s development team, including research on potential donors and institutional funders, database management, and cultivation events for donors.
The development intern will also attend departmental and staff meetings, as well other opportunities to work across departments with other interns and staff.
PHR offers stipends to student interns. The specific stipend amount will be determined by the average number of hours worked by the intern per week. Details will be further provided during the interview process.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in research and prepare thorough, well-written briefings on prospective funders, including individuals, governments, and foundations.
- Screen new donors to assess their giving capacity.
- Support institutional and individual development through Salesforce database management.
- Help identify new funding opportunities for the major gifts program and institutional development team.
- Create development materials to be used in donor meetings.
- Support the execution of donor engagement and cultivation events including the annual gala.
Qualifications and Experience
- Current enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate program of study.
- Strong analytical, writing, and verbal skills and superior research skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and professionally.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, commitment to data accuracy, and follow-through.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently.
Location and Hours
- The internship will be entirely remote due to PHR’s evaluations of coronavirus health risks.
- PHR welcomes applications from candidates located out of state.
- Hours can be flexible to accommodate different types of schedules.
- The internship will commence in February with at least a 12-week commitment.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include “Development Intern, Spring 2023” in the subject line. Please include in your cover letter the number of weekly hours you would be able to commit to the internship.
Job Type : Internship
Education Level : Associate Degree, Bachelors Degree, Masters
Experience Level : Entry Level
Job Function : Administrative, Development
Location : Remote Position