Direct Marketing Program Coordinator
Direct Marketing Program Coordinator
Oakland, CA or Washington DC or Remote
Context: At the Sierra Club, we believe in the power of togetherness. Together, we remain committed to the fight for a healthy climate built on a foundation of environmental, racial, economic, and gender justice – a future where all people benefit from a healthy, thriving planet and a direct connection to nature. As the climate crisis and deeply entrenched systemic racism all fuel inequity, we will continue to fight for a bold, transformational agenda that recognizes the interconnectedness between our planet, our humanity, and our democracy. By recognizing that our destinies are tied, we continue to name that all things are fundamentally connected, and the overlap between ecology, race, gender, and representative government will move to either advance our collective humanity or to oppress it.
Sierra Club is comprised of staff across the country and a network of local chapters that support our grassroots engagement. We are also proud to be a unionized employer, with two labor unions representing more than half of our employees.
Scope: The Direct Marketing Program Coordinator is a key member of the Membership Retention team, responsible for purchasing print and premium materials, inventory tracking, facilitating material and messaging workflow communications, and interfacing with Sierra Club vendors to ensure that all deadlines are efficiently and consistently met, starting with marketing concept and following each step of the process all the way through to post campaign invoicing. As part of this process, the Direct Marketing Program Coordinator will serve as a proofreader on assigned program materials, provide basic level inDesign changes, provide matrix instructions for assigned programs, work with lettershop set up and inventory management, and ensure quality, accuracy and timeliness of materials. The Direct Marketing Program Coordinator will also help backup team members as needed. Time dedicated to each program will vary, depending on individual program deadlines and seasonal fluctuations in activity.
Job activities include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for matrices and mailing plan process for designated programs. Sets up and oversees all data selection matrices and mailing plans for the Renewal program and the Acknowledgment program. Included in this are: the management of change requests, proofing and approving of the selection criteria, package components, and messaging.
- Oversees the inventory for renewal and other assigned programs and miscellaneous materials at the lettershop. This includes coordinating and competitively bidding out all print purchasing needs in order to acquire the best product at the most competitive price. Provides quality control for all printing of direct marketing needs.
- Oversees the inventory for premiums/store items at the outside distribution house. This includes coordinating all premium purchases for the Club, including competitively bidding out all product purchases in order to acquire the best product at the most competitive price.
- Coordinates proofs and routes assigned marketing campaign components within the department. This includes monitoring and reporting status of campaign components, preparing status reports for management, and monitoring/directing outside vendors in order to keep all campaigns on target.
- Reviews and processes purchasing invoices. Determines package CPM and updates budget items, providing related information as needed.
- Revises/redesigns various stock print components using in-house desktop publishing resources including inDesign for both testing and general program maintenance.
- Works closely with outside lettershop and fulfillment to implement tests.
- Select program back up and administration functions. Serves as a backup in the coordination of the acknowledgments process along with all welcome and anniversary communications to members and donors in direct marketing programs; modifies/implements changes to existing packages and develops any new acknowledgement packages. Administers the routine acknowledgement process though external vendor, and supervises the process of special handling for acknowledgement exceptions. Keeps a tight control over excess and obsolete inventory including projection of future needs.
- Maintains records including routing, filing and photocopying of correspondence. Includes filing and organizing all renewal and printed material samples, and maintains digital reference library of materials on team share drives.
- Proofs all marketing materials and scripts as needed.
- Undertakes special projects as directed by Associate Director of Membership Retention.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as directed.
- This job requires occasional overtime to meet deadlines, projects, staff absences or emergencies. Under these circumstances, overtime will rarely exceed 2 hours weekly, or 5 hours on a monthly basis.
The successful candidate must have the following skills and experience:
- Experience in fundraising, communications, sales or marketing which includes experience implementing fundraising, acquisition/development, marketing or sales campaigns
- Experience in Direct Marketing printing and lettershop.
- Experience in Procurement and Inventory management, with procurement software and experience bidding out projects.
- High proficiency in Excel and Word, along with inDesign, desktop publishing and PowerPoint.
- Strong organizational and communication skills with demonstrated ability to set priorities and resolve routine business problems in a customer service setting.
- Equity Analysis and Practice. You are aware of your group identities and how they have shaped your life and experiences at work. You have an analysis of how racism and other forms of oppression in society impact relationships, systems and culture. You bring experience and skills for working effectively with colleagues across group identities and position/role.
The strongest candidates will also demonstrate the following experience, skills and competencies:
- Excellent demonstrated written and oral communication skills and the proven ability to work effectively in both small teams and large working groups.
- Able to work effectively with public, Club staff, vendors and consultants.
- Demonstrated ability to provide guidance to staff and to work in a team setting.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $66,000 to $73,000 for Region I locations (e.g. Oakland, CA or Washington, DC)
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and Progressive Workers Union or Sierra Employee Alliance, depending on location.
The Sierra Club offers a competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 6 non-exempt, represented position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program.
Sierra Club values the expertise and talents of foreign nationals. Sierra Club sponsors both nonimmigrant and immigrant visas when certain criteria are met, based on immigration laws and organizational needs. Such sponsorship is at the discretion of the Department Head and Sierra Club Human Resources in consultation with the employee’s manager. The Sierra Club cannot guarantee the approval of a visa petition.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
This position does not have an undergraduate education requirement. If you choose to include your education history, please remove your schools from your resume. You may leave your degree (e.g., “B.A. Philosophy”), but please remove any undergraduate and graduate school names.
This anonymous process is aimed at opening this opportunity to more candidates, reviewing applicants on performance assessments and mitigating bias in the decision-making process.
Lastly, we are intentionally not asking for a cover letter, so please do not send one in with your application.
We are accepting applications until 12/17/2021.
To apply for this position, please click HERE.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : ""
Job Function : Development, Marketing/Communications
Location : Oakland, CA or Washington DC or Remote
Salary Range : $66,000 to $73,000 for Region I locations (e.g. Oakland, CA or Washington, DC)