Smile Train is changing the world one smile at a time. We’re always on the hunt for curious, passionate, and innovative thinkers to join our team, to help us do what we do better. If that’s you, please read on.
Smile Train is an international nonprofit headquartered in New York. Our mission is to transform the life of every person impacted by cleft lip and palate. We train and support doctors and medical professionals to provide free life-changing comprehensive cleft treatment to our beneficiaries. Our sustainable model has allowed us to reach 1.5 million children in 90+ countries to date and we’re just getting started. We are truly changing the world one smile at a time.
We are looking for a Director, Annual Leadership Development to join our team. The Director will
manage all aspects of Smile Train’s Premier Circle, our mid-level program, and develop high-level, donor-centric segmentation processes to engage constituents, moving them through a robust pipeline development program. The Director is responsible for annually growing the mid-level donor program through a comprehensive moves management system, providing quality experiences for donors, as well as partnering with major gift officers to create a streamlined approach to pipeline development.
The Director will report to the Vice President, Development, and oversee a small group of Development Managers.
This is a full-time opportunity starting as soon as possible. Some travel (post-pandemic) will be required (up to 50%). Ideal candidates are based in New York City, though consideration will be extended to candidates based outside of the tri-state area based on experience level.
- Develop high-level segmentation plans based on gift levels for ~12,000 mid-level donors to drive growth annually through various channels
- Develop strategies and tactics for significant growth in mid-level donor cultivation, retention and to prime the major gifts prospect pipeline
- Maintain a high-quality mid-level donor program, offering engaging and donor-centric access, content, and opportunities in a consistent and data-driven manner throughout the year. Ensure that all actions and activities are recorded in the donor database
- Analyze and monitor results of mid-level cultivation efforts by tracking key metrics
- Ensure all actions and activities are recorded in the donor database for program analytics, including reporting for senior leadership
- Create a robust ask/gift array process designed to increase mid-level commitments
- Develop and oversee execution of benefits and stewardship opportunities for donors who contribute $1,000 - $9,999 annually
- Partner with the direct marketing team to create a robust multi-channel strategy around the solicitation process
- In collaboration with other key Development staff, develop and implement regular cultivation and stewardship communications, including, but not limited to; monthly eNewsletter, bi-annual print newsletter, customized impact reports, and other materials throughout the year. Regularly survey and otherwise solicit feedback from donors to ensure programming and engagement opportunities align with their interests
- Strengthen and execute retention strategies to meet program retention goals
- Maintain a high level of knowledge of mid-level and overarching philanthropic trends, techniques, strategies, and best practices
- Manage, mentor and lead a team of mid-level gift officers, including portfolio management
- Bachelor’s (B.A./B.S.) degree or equivalent, advanced degree preferred.
- 7+ years of relevant experience, with exposure to annual/mid-level and major gift donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship processes preferred. Proven history of managing staff and leading a donor program a plus.
- Experience working with and growing a mid-level donor program. Demonstrated success in fundraising, developing substantive donor relationships and in supporting senior management, program staff, to execute donor and engagement strategies
- Proven ability to effectively manage and mentor a team; experience managing a remote team would be an asset
- Strong technological aptitude with advanced skills using Microsoft Word, Excel and donor database software. Experience with Salesforce is preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills and strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with both management and direct reports
- Extremely detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
- Ability to take ownership of a process and to use problem solving skills to resolve issues. Ability to make sound decisions based on analysis, experience and judgment
- Ability to function independently and as part of a team - showing initiative, motivation, flexibility, and attention to accuracy of projects and tasks
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted as a satisfactory substitute for the specific education and experience listed above.
Smile Train is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates from all groups and communities to apply.
To apply, please complete the application through the link. Include your CV and a cover letter that describes why you believe you would be a good fit for Smile Train and this role.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, but we encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : Development, Account Management, Customer Service
Nonprofit or Corporate : Nonprofit Organization
Location : New York NY (consideration will be extended to candidates based outside of the tri-state area based on experience level)