Director, Membership Experience
Director, Membership Experience
Washington, DC, with some remote flexibility
The Nonprofit Alliance, a trade association, formed in 2018. Our members are nonprofit organizations and firms that provide services to nonprofits. Together we are a unified voice working to strengthen our sector and make the world a better place. For more information, visit https://tnpa.org.
The Membership Director, a newly created position, reports to the CEO and works collaboratively with the staff, board, and volunteers to drive the growth of The Nonprofit Alliance (TNPA). The Membership Director has responsibility for recruiting new members and creating exceptional membership experience that sets TNPA apart as the community for nonprofit organizations and their strategic partner companies. The Nonprofit Alliance is based in Washington, DC. Remote work option is possible within a limited number of states (Virginia, Maryland, New York) and periodic in-person time in the office. Some travel is required.
Salary range: $80,000-$95,000.
- 7+ years of experience of experience in membership recruitment and retention within a trade association or other membership-based organization, successful experience as a major gifts officer, or equivalent business development.
- Experience with the nonprofit sector is required, and an existing network of relationships within the current and prospective TNPA membership base is highly desirable.
- Experience working with AMS and/or CRM database system(s)
- Superb written and verbal communication and editing skills
- Outstanding organization and attention to detail
- Entrepreneurial spirit and keen persistence
- Solid judgment and demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies, balance varied tasks, and thrive in a busy environment
- Comfort working independently and within a team, both in-person and virtual, interrelating and operating effectively with peers and other associates within a collegial, yet demanding, work environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- COVID-19 vaccination required
If you believe you can thrive in this role, even if you don't check every box of the position's criteria, please apply.
New Member Recruitment & Sales (60%)
- Research and identify member prospects to expand the new member pipeline.
- Actively pursue and sell new TNPA memberships to meet annual growth goals and strengthen TNPA’s representative voice for the nonprofit sector.
- Develop and implement campaigns, collateral, and initiatives to increase membership; regularly review and update TNPA’s Case for Membership.
- Create internal systems to identify member prospects entering the TNPA pipeline through events, calls to action, and other TNPA community engagement.
- Establish rapport with members and member prospects, demonstrating exceptional stewardship values and skills.
- Work closely with internal and association management company staff, including the Member Relations & Engagement Specialist, to ensure the overall TNPA membership experience is of the highest quality and value.
- Support an inclusive, open, and accountable membership framework.
Member & Volunteer Engagement (30%)
- Serve as day-to-day coordinator and staff liaison to the volunteer advisory boards (ADRFCO Council, Catholic Development Council), Membership Committee, and Stewardship Committee.
- Coordinate and help facilitate recurring member networking virtual events, including coffee talks and roundtables.
- Plan and organize periodic in-person member and member-prospect networking events.
- Oversee volunteer tracking in association’s database.
- Manage internal organizational calendar including all volunteer committee meetings, member events, and staff appearances at third party events.
- Involve and represent TNPA in relevant conferences and initiatives.
- Serve as spokesperson for the association as appropriate.
To be successful in this role, flexibility and a willingness to stretch are critical. As with all small teams, opportunities and needs arise that do not fit neatly into any one person’s role, and responsibilities will evolve as the organization grows (“other duties as assigned”) (10%).
ABOUT WORKING HERE
Employee benefits include:
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
- Self-managed PTO. We require that you take off at least 10 days per year, in addition to the regular holiday schedule.
- Generous medical, dental, and vision benefits and life insurance plan.
- Convenient downtown DC location, one block from transit hub at Metro Center.
The nonprofit sector’s ability to change the world is not possible without diversity and inclusion. The Nonprofit Alliance promotes equal opportunity by following EEOC regulations and EEO laws that apply to each part of our organization and taking actions to promote fairness and diversity as part of our equal employment opportunity policy. The Nonprofit Alliance does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. This non-discrimination policy applies to recruitment, hiring, compensation, promotions, transfers, discipline, training, and distribution of benefits. Reasonable accommodations will be provided to applicants and employees who need them for medical or religious reasons, as required by law.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line.
Job Type : Full-Time
Experience Level : Mid Level
Job Function : Customer Service, Sales, Marketing/Communications, Event Management
Location : Washington, DC; options for remote flexibility in Maryland, Virginia, and New York
Salary Range : $80,000-$95,000