Director of Development
Director of Development
New York, NY
Company: Doctors Without Borders | Médecins Sans Frontières
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that delivers impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries.
We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
Our dynamic Development Department is responsible for raising over $400 million annually in funds in order to meet the financial needs of our organization.
Our Development Department includes five teams (Marketing, Foundations, Corporations, Private Major Donors and Planned Giving, Fundraising Operations and Systems) with almost 60 staff responsible for raising over $440 million annually in funds to meet the financial needs of our organization to support our projects in over 70 countries.
The Director of Development (DoD) will be a proven leader who is deeply motivated by the goal of MSF to deliver medical care to those most in need across the world, and who can align large teams around this meaningful purpose. The DoD will have a proven track record of increasing private revenue for nonprofits during times of economic disruption and increasing competition within the philanthropic sector. The DoD will bring the vision, experience, curiosity, creativity, resourcefulness, and enthusiasm to support a well-recognized international aid agency to elevate supporter engagement and loyalty.
Reporting to the Executive Director and as an integral member of the senior Management Team (MT), the DoD will embrace challenges and change to support the evolution of a high performing organization working in a rapidly changing world. They will be responsible for providing progressive thought and practice leadership to drive MSF-USA fundraising strategy to a new revenue floor of $600 million and beyond in the coming five years.
The DoD is responsible for developing secure and diversified private income streams through compelling supporter journeys for all levels of donors and strong institutional relationships in order to meet the financial needs and to ensure the independence of MSF’s global operations, as MSF-USA contributes 25 per cent to the global budget of MSF operations. In particular, the Development Director will develop multi-year fundraising strategies and annual plans that build a broad base of support and promote predictable and mostly unrestricted giving in a cost-efficient way based on strict ethical standards. The DoD leads the process of analyzing and forecasting revenue for MSF USA and setting and reviewing investment and revenue targets.
The DoD plans, organizes, and directs all strategies, activities and staff members engaged in soliciting funds from a variety of sources to support the work of MSF; in preparing fundraising content and materials; organizing fundraising events; and in educating donors about MSF project activities, advocacy efforts, and the plight of the people we serve. The DoD is responsible for ensuring that all communications with donors reflect the unique and independent voice of MSF.
- The DoD ensures productive partnerships with multiple internal and external constituencies, in developing, implementing and monitoring emergent strategies that allow MSF-USA to navigate and thrive in a volatile charitable and political context. The DoD will assure current understanding of philanthropic trends, continuously explore and adapt proven and new approaches, and successfully position MSF-USA in a crowded and fast-changing market.
- The DoD will set strategic direction and parameters to enable talented staff to innovate and execute, and lead the process of setting and reviewing multi-year and yearly investment and revenue targets, and of determining the appropriate mix of income streams best designed to meet the strategic goal of a diversified, predictable, secure and cost-efficient revenue. The DoD ensures, based on business intelligence and data-driven approaches, the achievement of satisfactory cost per dollar raised in relation to pre-set standards and to general and specific trends within the industry and the economy.
- The DoD will be responsible for keeping the dynamics and innovative drive in our Fundraising pyramid, by continuing to steward more than 750,000 current donors and inspire new donors to contribute to MSF-USA with a strong focus on growth and regular giving. The DoD will supervise and inspire an innovative mass marketing program, led by the Director of Marketing, including direct mail, digital, street canvassing, telemarketing, fundraising events and donor services. The DoD will support a digital first strategy, while balancing the value of proven channels in Direct Marketing such as direct mail with the need to leverage new options to adapt to changes in donor preferences. In all above, they will embrace the challenge of limited resources – experimenting with different approaches to see which ultimately brings the greatest return. The DoD will collaborate with the Directors for Foundations, Corporations and Major Gifts to advance relationships with long-time donors while continuously cultivating a new cohort of committed donors
- The DoD demonstrates leadership, together with the Director of Fundraising Systems and Operations, in leading, coordinating and monitoring transformational change in how we leverage technology and cohesive and integrated systems to develop a best-in-class fundraising program enabling automated processes wherever possible and to achieve a holistic and accurate visibility on donor information.
- The DoD will champion proven and innovative approaches that respond to changing donor expectations. They will apply a keen understanding of both opportunities and regulatory and financial constraints, and value the Fundraising and mission-related principles of MSF.
- The DoD will be an inclusive leader who values and promotes open and collaborative approaches – within the organization as well as with external stakeholders – needed to achieve important goals in a complex context. MSF-USA is committed to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion principles throughout our work—including in how we work.
- The DoD will develop highly effective partnerships with all members of the MSF-USA Management Team. As a member of the Management Team, the Development Director participates in developing collective decisions, and setting priorities for MSF-USA given resource constraints, approving internal policies and making collective recommendations to the Board of Directors. The DoD advises the Executive Director and other key members of senior management on policy matters related to the areas under their supervision. They contribute to the development of MSF-USA’s strategic goals and objectives as well as the overall management of the organization.
- The DoD will partner with the Director of Communications to advance shared organizational goals, integrative workflows, digital approaches, and will use use data analytics to inform planning, investment and learning. Together, they will oversee brand communication, and ensure that MSF-USA’s messages to supporters accurately describe the crises to which MSF responds, MSF’s program activities, and its humanitarian challenges (advocacy). Together, they will leverage their knowledge and passion for practice and promise of digital fundraising and communications as a means of deepening relationships with current supporters and engaging new ones.
- The DoD will work closely with the Director of Finance on revenue and expense forecasting, and with their counterparts in MSF operations domestically and globally on proposal development and donor engagement. The DoD will partner with the Chair of the Admin Committee of the Board to set ambitious but realistic targets and to assure meaningful Board engagement in and oversight of MSF-USA fundraising. Jointly with with the Director of Major Gifts, the DoD will leverage Board member networks to cultivate new donor prospects, and ensure strong relationships with the members of the Board of Advisors.
The DoD will represent MSF-USA on key international working groups and initiatives, collaborating on fundraising policies, practices and strategies and will develop strong working relationships with counterparts in specific MSF entities to advance global fundraising goals. The DoD will regularly update multi-year revenue projections and coordinate strategies and implementation with other key stakeholders in the MSF Movement to contribute to the predictability and sustainability of funding of MSF globally.
Travel & Work Schedule
The duties of the job require regular onsite attendance 5 days/week for a minimum of 35 hours. Must be available to work before 9:00 am, after 5:00 pm or on weekends, as required.
Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business travel, as well as to MSF medical projects in crisis zones where they may be exposed to insecurity, basic living conditions and other risks inherent to humanitarian aid work.
Public Contact & Presentations
Represents the voice of MSF through a wide variety of fundraising materials, each written with a distinctive tone and style, appropriate to their intended audience, that reach a wide public of current and potential donors.
Routinely interacts with senior representatives of key vendors and consultants to negotiate terms, direct their work and answer their questions on complex topics. Meets occasionally with major donors and/or Board of Advisors. Makes quarterly presentations of strategic planning documents to the Administrative Committee of the Board and interacts with all levels of staff, aid workers and the Board of Directors to strategize approach, plan, and coordinate, as well as to stay abreast of MSF issues, and attends international fundraising meetings as MSF-USA’s representative.
- Manages several supervisors -- the Director of Foundations, Director of Corporate Relations, Director of Development Systems, Director of Marketing, a Director of Major Gifts who lead teams as well as an active pool of seasonal help and/or volunteers and interns
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
- Forecasts revenue and collaborates with Director of Finance & Administration to set investment and revenue targets for annual MSF USA budget. Analyzes revenue and expense trends to assess results and recommends changes to targets accordingly
- Oversees the generation of substantial revenue from diverse funding sources
- Develops departmental budget for review and approval by Executive Director and Administrative Committee of the Board of Directors. Implements, controls and reviews approved departmental budget, in accordance with MSF’s policies and procedures
- Responsibilities include quarterly budget review and revision, signing and administering departmental contracts, reviewing and signing off on others’ purchase orders, expense reports, credit card reports, and timesheets
- At least 10 years of progressively more responsible roles in leadership and management of large teams in one or more fundraising disciplines such as direct marketing, philanthropic stewardship, etc.
- An established track record, as a senior development leader, of increasing revenue and achieving aggressive fundraising goals from diverse constituencies in a complex multi-cultural environment, including: strategic planning and execution; facilitative and collaborative management and leadership of large diverse teams; change management; and budget development and management, including financial reporting and analysis
- Formal educational background in business administration, marketing or fundraising or related disciplines; or equivalent professional experience.
- Demonstrated ability to champion and motivate staff and organizations to embrace new approaches, such as the personalization of fundraising, the use of new platforms to reach donors, etc.
- Proven project management experience with emphasis on managing multiple projects simultaneously and executing plans based on agreed-upon strategies, budget and timelines
- Demonstrated effectiveness as team player and collaborator; ability to engage other senior staff and co-create new initiatives
- Track record in building and implementing practices, systems and incentives that enable effective use of data to support excellent supporter engagement.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, and the capacity to simplify and communicate complex concepts to diverse audiences.
- A successful track record in taking calculated risks that fosters creativity and innovation while maintaining the health of organizational revenue and encouraging others to do the same in pursuit of expanded channels, approaches, and donor bases
- Outstanding oral and written communication and presentation skills to represent MSF in public venues as both a thought-leader and an inspirational ambassador
- Deep commitment to the humanitarian action of MSF, and to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion principles in the workplace
- CFRE credential or equivalent certification
- Proven track record of securing five- to six-figure corporate gifts
- Proficiency in Spanish, French, or Arabic is a plus
- Up-to-date professional network in fundraising, supporter engagement, youth, digital and/or innovation
- Unquestionable integrity and unbridled humility
- Optimism and a sense of humor
Application Deadline: May 10, 2020
No phone calls please.
Please note that relocation assistance or visa sponsorship will be offered for this position
MSF-USA is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer
Pay Class & Contract Type
Regular FT Salaried Exempt
Starting salary $148,700 -$157,620 (commensurate with experience)
Working Time (Hours Per Week)
Job Type : Full-Time
Job Function : Development
Nonprofit or Corporate : Nonprofit Organization
Location : New York, NY