America's Promise Alliance seeks a dedicated, mission-driven, and experienced team member to inspire individuals and institutions to make meaningful financial investments in young people. The Director of Development’s primary responsibility is to lead the Resource Development Team in planning, organizing, and directing fundraising efforts within an emerging major gifts program, a newly established annual fund, while supporting the introduction of our new strategic direction to current, lapsed, and prospective partners. Responsibilities include proposal preparation for current and new sources of revenue and assisting with building relationships with corporate and individual donors while managing routine stewardship of existing partners. The Director of Development will also ensure internal and external messaging is clear, compelling, and aligned with our values and vision. This position is an excellent opportunity to provide input on short-term priorities, manage daily fundraising operations, implement segments of a national fundraising strategy, and to meaningfully contribute as part of an integrated and well-balanced team within a national youth-focused nonprofit organization.
The Director of Development must enjoy working in an inclusive and diverse office, have experience with blended portfolios, and possess a passion for issues affecting children and youth. The Director of Development will report to the Chief Development Officer and will also work closely with the Resource Development Team and Communications Department.
The successful candidate will be characterized by integrity, problem-solving ability, flexibility, responsiveness, relationship building, and personal accountability. In addition, the Director of Development must combine strong interpersonal communication skills with impeccable attention to detail. A strong collaborator, the successful candidate must be willing to teach and open to learn.
ABOUT AMERICA’S PROMISE ALLIANCE
With over 450 national partners and 250 state and local communities, America’s Promise leads the nation’s largest network dedicated to improving the lives of young people. By leveraging our unique ability to raise awareness, forge connections, and create new knowledge, America’s Promise activates our Alliance and the broader field to spur national change no single organization can achieve on its own.
America’s Promise is committed to creating the conditions of success for all children and youth through Five Promises—caring adults, safe places, a healthy start, effective education and opportunities to serve. We recognize that historical and systemic inequities create barriers that keep many young people from experiencing these Five Promises and limit their ability to realize their full potential. We affirm that every child deserves the opportunity to pursue their American Dream and every adult has the responsibility to make it happen. To learn more visit, www.AmericasPromise.org.
The major responsibilities for this position include:
· Lead letters of inquiry, proposal preparation, and written correspondence
· Design and execute short-term fundraising strategies to identify and secure individual, corporate, and foundation support
· Oversee the creation of briefs to ensure relevant information is available and appropriately disseminated in preparation for meetings with current, prospective, and lapsed donors.
· Act as a project manager for special projects and place-based events
· Manage relationships with donors making an annual investment from $25,000 to $250,000
· Use administrative systems and adherence to procedures to track, record and report; ensuring the accuracy and timeliness of all donor engagement
· Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief Development Officer
The Director of Development will be expected to work independently and make decisions within defined objectives, priorities, and deadlines. Specific qualifications include:
· Bachelor’s Degree and five or more years of related work experience.
· One year of supervisory experience preferred.
· Excellent interpersonal skills, prioritizing communication, transparency, coordination, and teamwork.
· Strong organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize, manage processes, coordinate efforts across various departments, and meet deadlines.
· Impeccable attention to detail.
· Ability to articulate the mission, objectives and vision of America’s Promise Alliance.
· Ability to prepare clear, concise, thorough and grammatically correct written documents.
· Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel and Office), database experience, and facility with budgets a plus.
The Director of Development must also maintain strict confidentiality surrounding information shared by & interactions with donors, senior staff, and board members.
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $80,000 - $100,000, depending on experience. America's Promise Alliance offers a generous benefits package.
Please submit a resume and cover letter detailing your interest in this position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title in the subject line of your e-mail.
America’s Promise Alliance actively seeks and welcomes diversity of all types on the America’s Promise Team and is committed to an inclusive environment that allows all team members to thrive. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : Development, Marketing/Communications, Creative
Location : Washington, DC
Salary Range : $80,000 - $100,000