Foundation & Grants Manager
Foundation & Grants Manager
Compassion & Choices is seeking a Foundation & Grants Manager to advance our work to improve care, expand options and empower everyone to chart their end-of-life journey.
This position is primarily responsible for managing Compassion & Choices’ foundation and grants program. This includes: (1) Achieve revenue goals; (2) Develop strategies to renew/upgrade current funders; (3) Write and submit proposals, LOIs, reports, and budgets, including project managing process of gathering content, input and approvals; (4) Identify potential funders, establish and cultivate relationships, and craft strategies to secure grants; and (5) Manage the foundation pipeline, tracking the status of all potential grants to ensure deadlines are met.
This is a full-time, remotely-located, paid position reporting to the Chief Development Officer. Compensation offered will be commensurate with experience.
We offer excellent benefits including employer-shared medical and dental insurance premiums, employer-paid short- and long-term disability, life and accidental death & dismemberment insurance, flexible spending account for medical and child care, commuter pre-tax benefit, eligibility to participate in 401K with generous 5% employer match and 100% vested at time of eligibility, 12 paid holidays, 17 PTO days first year, and personal days.
This position will primarily be responsible for:
- Managing and growing our foundation fundraising program, securing grants from new and existing donors. Working closely with the Chief Development Officer, Philanthropy Officers, and program leads, identifying opportunities and crafting fundraising strategies.
- Identifying foundations whose funding criteria align with our work, creating prospect profiles, establishing and cultivating relationships with prospective funders, and crafting LOIs and proposals to secure grants.
- Establishing relationships with current funders and maintaining those relationships. Gain insights into their interests and motivations, and cultivate them to move them to higher giving levels.
- Researching, drafting, editing, and facilitating input from staff on proposals, LOIs, reports, and funder updates. Facilitating the circulation of drafts and securing approvals. Establishing clear roles and expectations among contributing staff while providing ample time for content preparation.
- Completing online applications and preparing hard-copy materials according to funder requirements.
- Staying apprised of current activities across all programmatic areas, especially as it relates to the creation of written materials (e.g., read all bulk emails distributed, quarterly magazine, biweekly progress reports, and website content).
- Managing the foundation pipeline system to track deadlines for all grant proposals and reporting requirements, ensuring all deadlines are met. Maintaining accurate and up-to-date records in the database and producing reports in coordination with the Development Services team.
- Working with Accounting and Operations staff on budgets and compliance requirements.
- Supporting the Special and Major Gifts teams’ as needed by preparing proposals and reports for high-level donors unassociated with foundations and not contributing to the foundation revenue line.
- Tracking the wider philanthropic sector news and trends to proactively identify new opportunities.
- Demonstrates commitment to and active support of C&C’s Diversity & Inclusion program.
- Some travel as needed (up to 10%)
- Other duties as required.
Preferred Qualifications (You will be a good fit):
Education and Experience:
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in grant writing & fundraising, preferably at a nonprofit organization. Similar experience will be considered.
- Demonstrated use of best practices in grant writing.
- Experience in using resources for foundation prospects and funding opportunities such as Foundation Directory Online, Chronicle of Philanthropy, GuideStar, Foundation Search, Grant Station, IRS 990s, etc.
- Excellent writing and editing skills along with the ability to analyze, condense or synthesize, and shape proposals.
- Team player who welcomes collaborative decision making.
- Comfortable working in a fast pace, dynamic environment.
Values: Must be energized by the idea of working at an organization with the following values:
- Compassionate in our conviction that dying patients should be free of unwanted treatment, suffering or outside interference.
- Respectful of the autonomy of individuals to decide what end-of-life options are best for them and their family.
- Courageous in our willingness to confront the toughest end-of-life health challenges, disrupt the broken status quo and protect an individual’s right to self-determination.
- Credible in all our education, advocacy and partnerships — our efforts are grounded in objective research and demonstrable facts.
- Resilient in our capacity to respond to opportunities and threats in the movement so that we can achieve our vision as quickly as possible.
How to Apply:
Current resume and cover letter must be submitted as one PDF document. In your cover letter, please (1) indicate how your personal philosophy aligns with our mission, (2) provide a brief summary of your directly related experience, and (3) provide your salary expectation (with a specific amount/range vs ‘negotiable’).
Questions about the position may be directed to Jobs@compassionandchoices.org.
About Compassion & Choices
Across the nation, Compassion & Choices works to create a society that affirms life and accepts the inevitability of death, embraces expanded options for compassionate dying, and empowers everyone to choose end-of-life care that reflects their values, priorities and beliefs. To make this vision a reality, we improve care, expand options and empower everyone to chart their end-of-life journey.
Compassion & Choices is committed to building a staff that reflects the diverse communities that make up our country. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and recruit, hire, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to age, color, creed, disability, economic status, ethnic identity, gender identity, national origin race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veterans status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Job Type : Full-Time
Experience Level : Mid Level
Job Focus : Grant Writing
Location : Remote Position
Salary Range : Compensation offered will be commensurate with experience.