Gift Planning Director
Gift Planning Director
Washington, DC (Hybrid model of work, requiring at least 3 days/week in the office)
Washington National Cathedral is looking for a dynamic, engaged, individual to join our highly collaborative, tenured, and growing development department as the Gift Planning Officer. This person will work closely with the Gift Planning Director on all aspects of the Cathedral’s planned giving program; including developing strategy, direct donor stewardship and personal solicitation, while partnering with major and annual gift officers as appropriate. The Gift Planning Officer will have primary responsibility for estate administration and marketing strategy in addition to specific responsibility for assigned donors and prospects.
Washington National Cathedral has a successful and growing planned giving program with a committed and age-appropriate local and national constituency. Our donor base is extremely engaged and committed, with religious and secular donors. Beyond the traditional base of support, the Cathedral’s membership doubled during the pandemic. Those members continue to renew & give at a very high rate. A large portion of the Cathedral’s donor base is involved virtually & many have never been inside the Cathedral. Washington National Cathedral is looking to institutionalize and expand the program for the long term.
Washington National Cathedral is looking for someone who is enthusiastic, self-motivated, can function independently & loves planned giving and loves working with seniors. This position has high growth potential. In the next five years, this position will be positioned to own and develop the marketing strategies and full portfolio management.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Serve as primary lead for estate administration, ensuring accurate reporting.
● Work closely with executors, trustees and Cathedral legal, finance and development staff.
● Utilize analytics and reporting tools to analyze results, inform decision-making and measure progress against benchmarks/data.
● Use Raiser's Edge database to maintain up-to-date records in the database of donor engagement and moves management within identified timeframes.
Marketing & Marketing Strategy Management:
● Take primary responsibility for the planned giving marketing program and marketing strategy, in collaboration with the Gift Planning Director, Annual Fund Director, and external providers.
● Identify and manage stewardship engagement opportunities for Legacy Society members.
● Prepare written correspondence, reports, proposals and marketing materials.
● Develop an annual work plan to grow the program, including donor focused goals; ensure integration with annual fund and stewardship programs.
● Manage a dynamic portfolio of planned gift donors and prospects, working in collaboration with Gift Planning Director and donor engagement team to steward and solicit as appropriate.
● Leverage prospect discovery pipeline efforts to grow and convert leads into long term gifts.
● Attend special events, periodic worship services and evening programs, especially as they relate to donor engagement activities.
Other duties as assigned.
● Bachelor’s degree in development, fundraising or commensurate experience in a related field.
● 5+ years’ experience and demonstrated knowledge in planned giving within a development or advancement office environment.
● Knowledge of Planned Gift arrangements
● Experience in NonProfit Fundraising is required. Those with a proven track record of garnering philanthropic support are encouraged to apply.
● Advanced computer skills with MS Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook) and Raiser’s Edge or other fundraising software.
● Washington National Cathedral requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, including any boosters recommended and available to the general public, in the absence of eligibility for medical or religious exemptions.
● Experience with a planned giving program in an organization that generates its own constituency and has worked with a wide variety of people.
● Personal and Professional engagement in the high growth potential of this department and position with a commitment of 3+ years.
● Enthusiasm for engaging with donors /prospects age 70+ by phone and in-person.
● Ability to work independently, as well as collaborate effectively with a high-achieving team.
● Demonstrated ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment among diverse internal and external constituencies.
● Desire to professionally and personally grow skills and abilities.
● Flexibility and resiliency, along with a sense of humor.
● Commitment to and enthusiasm about the mission and vision of Washington National Cathedral.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
● Strong interpersonal and leadership skills.
● Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
● Familiarity with marketing for planned giving and/or working with planned giving marketing vendors and systems.
● Meticulous attention to detail.
● Technical skills appropriate to basic estate planning and life income gift arrangements.
● Skills to multi-task multiple projects simultaneously with competing deadlines.
● Knowledge of or willingness to learn Episcopal Church traditions, customs & hierarchy.
● Schedule is Monday through Friday during normal business hours, However, flexibility in daily schedules will be needed when the Cathedral hosts major funerals, State events and other special events. Development staff is required to assist with these events and may need to adjust priorities with little notice.
● This position is eligible for a hybrid model of work, requiring at least 3 days/week in the office.
● This position requires work on site and the individual must be available to work on site as scheduled or requested.
● Ability to work outside of regular business hours, including evenings and weekends.
● Some travel required (less than 10%).
● The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement & fine coordination in preparing reports using a computer keyboard.
● The position also requires near & far vision for reading and preparing written reports and documents.
Washington National Cathedral is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a more diverse and inclusive atmosphere for all. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
We support an inclusive workplace where associates excel based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability and job performance.
Washington National Cathedral seeks individuals who are committed to our mission. We appreciate interest from those who will contribute to an atmosphere in which diversity is valued and supported.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume, and please note job code C22-15, to email@example.com.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid Level
Job Function : Customer Service, Data Management, Development, Legal / Compliance, Donors/Donations, Planned Giving, Fundraising
Location : Washington, DC (Hybrid model of work, requiring at least 3 days/week in the office)
Salary Range : $75,000-$85,000