WCS stands for wildlife and wild places. As the world’s premier wildlife conservation organization, WCS has a long track record of achieving innovative, impactful results at scale. We run field programs spanning 60 countries and the entire ocean. We build on a unique foundation: Our reach is global; we discover through best-in-class science; we protect through work on the ground with local and indigenous people; we inspire through our world-class zoos, aquarium, and education programs; and we leverage our resources through partnerships and powerful policy influence. Our more than 4,000 diverse, passionately committed team members in New York City and around the world work collectively to achieve our conservation mission.
The Major Gifts Officer, Western Region is part of a team of development professionals responsible for growing significant individual gifts in excess of $150M annually in the next 3 to 5 years. Reporting to the Senior Director of Individual Giving, Western Region, and working closely with senior executives, the Major Gifts Officer is expected to grow gifts from donors in the Western United States at the $25,000 and greater level, including identifying, cultivating and soliciting individuals in support of WCS’s top mission-driven priorities. A successful candidate will have a passion for our mission and a track record of developing and executing strategies to solicit and close 5-, 6- and, over time, 7-figure gifts. WCS is looking for a highly motivated fundraising leader who is creative and entrepreneurial. The Major Gifts Officer, Western Region will personally manage a high-value portfolio of donors with capacity to give at the 5-, 6- and 7-figure levels and work directly with trustees and leadership donors.
Your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Mission and Revenue: Serve as a critical member of the Global Resources team by creating and executing strategies to successfully cultivate and solicit individuals to support the WCS mission at their highest philanthropic capacity.
- Portfolio Strategy and Management: Create and lead the strategy for a portfolio of major donors and prospects. Manage a portfolio of 150+ donors at the $25k+ level along with 7-figure prospects. Develop bespoke cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship plans for each.
- Relationship Building: Build and manage meaningful relationships with prospects and donors through visits, correspondence, and consistent communication.
- Key Donor Management: Collaborate with the VP of Individual Giving and the Senior Director of Individual Giving, Western Region on the management of select high-capacity donors, including support for meeting preparation and follow up.
- Prospect Identification: With the support of the GR Research team, build a qualified pipeline of new prospects and implement effective donor engagement opportunities.
- Fundraising Collateral: With support from the GR Communications team, ensure the timely creation and distribution of customized fundraising and stewardship materials, collateral and briefings, and highly personalized proposals.
- Fundraising Events and Experiences: Working with GR Donor Engagement teams, design and execute WCS events, experiences, and travel that maximize major donor and prospect cultivation opportunities, and serve as a GR lead for these events.
- Operating Effectiveness and Data Analysis: With support from GR’s Donor Services team, effectively use Salesforce to track and evaluate key performance metrics and activities. Conduct and oversee data analysis to continually improve practices, drive action, and inform decisions.
- Programs and Mission: Develop and maintain familiarity with programmatic needs, budgets and priorities for the zoos and aquarium and the global conservation program. Represent WCS’s mission and persuasively articulate WCS’s impact and conservation strategies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 6+ years of frontline fundraising experience with demonstrable success in closing 5- and 6-figure gifts; experience closing- and 7-figure gifts a plus.
- Passion for WCS’s mission.
- Ability to work independently and interface effectively with the highest level of WCS donors and senior staff members.
- Excellent communication, writing and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence, with an ability to develop and maintain long-term, productive relationships internally and externally.
- Advanced understanding of fundraising best practices and competency in developing and managing high-level gift strategy execution.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- BS/ BA degree.
- Contribute to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
WCS is an equal opportunity employer, and the organization complies with all employment and labor laws and regulations that prohibit discrimination in hiring and ensures that candidates from all backgrounds are fairly and consistently considered during the recruitment process. We are dedicated to hiring and engaging a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value. The organization provides equal employment opportunities for all qualified candidates. The organization does not discriminate for employment based on gender, race/ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, caste, genetic information or any other covered status or characteristic protected by laws and regulations/and similar categories.
It is everyone’s responsibility to ensure that we do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based upon a person’s membership in one of these protected categories in areas such as recruitment, selection, job assignment, supervision, training, promotions, job grading, transfers, termination, compensation, benefits, educational opportunities, WCS sponsored recreational activities and facilities.
The organization complies with the spirit and intent of relevant local laws and WCS’s employment policies. Note that the salary offer will reflect the selected candidate’s individual experiences, skills and qualifications, internal equity, work location and country of work.
$100,000 - $140,000
To apply, please click HERE
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Job Focus : Data Management, Development, Donors/Donations, Planned Giving
Location : Remote; West Coast-based (CA, WA, OR)
Salary Range : $100,000 - $140,000
Experience Level : Mid Level