National Director of Policy
National Director of Policy
Position: National Director of Policy
Salary: $110,000 - $125,000
Compassion & Choices is seeking a National Director of Policy to help advance our medical outreach and education efforts across the country.
This position is primarily responsible for a small and growing policy department over time and representing the interests and needs of the legal and policy team (litigation, policy & state legislative counsel) at the management table. This includes creating our federal policy agenda, which will focus on patient directed care and health equity, while also developing policy positions to protect and advance access to the full range of end of life options including religious refusals, dying with dementia and advance directives.
This is a full-time, remotely-located, paid position reporting to the Chief Legal Advocacy Officer/General Counsel. Compensation offered will be commensurate with experience.
We offer excellent benefits including employer-shared medical and dental insurance premiums, employer-paid short- and long-term disability, life and accidental death & dismemberment insurance, flexible spending account for medical and child care, commuter pre-tax benefit, eligibility to participate in 401K with generous 5% employer match and 100% vested at time of eligibility, 9 paid holidays, 17 PTO days first year, and floating holidays
This position will primarily be responsible for:
● Analyzing legislation, legal issues and public health research and devise, draft and present appropriate responses consistent with the organization’s policy positions and advocacy strategy.
● Drafting model legislation, amendments to legislation, and administrative rules that advance patient directed care and consider the organization’s positions.
● Reviewing legislation to assess whether the legislation is consistent with C&C’s position, identify areas that will positively or negatively impact patient directed care, and make recommendations as to whether we should support or oppose the legislation and what provisions we should negotiate.
● Conducting policy or health research and draft or review a range of materials including testimony, briefings, statements, key findings, frequently asked questions, alerts to ensure they are evidence based, accurate and represent C&C’s positions.
● Conceptualizing the best way to present complicated policy information and/or data so that it can be easily understood by lay audiences
Preferred Qualifications (You will be a good fit):
Education and Experience:
●Law degree from accredited university required. Master’s degree or higher in public policy, bioethics, public health, or a related field strongly preferred. Juris doctor with an emphasis on health law would be ideal.
● At least 10 years of professional work experience in advocacy and/or public policy conducting public health, policy and legislative research. Proven experience reviewing legislation to assess it’s strengths and weaknesses and how it fits within an organization's mission and policy agenda.
● Proven experience working in a fast-paced environment producing and fact checking large volumes of materials quickly, ensuring they are reliable, accurate and timely.
● Active law license
● Subject-matter expertise in healthcare-related issues
● Superb legislative analysis
● Excellent oral and written communication
● High level attention to detail; ability to meet all deadlines.
● Computer Skills: Familiarity with legislative tracking tools and Microsoft Office suite
How to Apply:
Email current resume and cover letter as one PDF document to HR@CompassionAndChoices.org. In the subject line of your email, indicate “Last_First Name, NDP 11-2020”. In your cover letter, please (1) indicate how your personal philosophy aligns with our mission, (2) provide a brief summary of your directly related experience, and (3) provide your salary expectation (with a specific amount/range vs ‘negotiable’). Questions about the position may be directed to HR@compassionandchoices.org.
Across the nation, Compassion & Choices works to create a society that affirms life and accepts the inevitability of death, embraces expanded options for compassionate dying, and empowers everyone to choose end-of-life care that reflects their values, priorities and beliefs. To make this vision a reality, we improve care, expand options and empower everyone to chart their end-of-life journey.
Compassion & Choices is committed to building a staff that reflects the diverse communities that make up our country. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and recruit, hire, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to age, color, creed, disability, economic status, ethnic identity, gender identity, national origin race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veterans status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Link to Job Description: https://compassionandchoices.org/about-us/employment
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Masters
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : Legal / Compliance, General
Nonprofit or Corporate : Nonprofit Organization
Location : Remote Position