Senior Manager, Direct Mail & Donor Engagement
Senior Manager, Direct Mail & Donor Engagement
Position is Remote
Compassion & Choices is seeking a Senior Manager, Direct Mail & Donor Engagement to help advance our medical outreach and education efforts across the country.
This position is primarily responsible for managing Compassion & Choices’ direct mail efforts, national fundraising emails, and efforts to make its donor base more inclusive by developing an innovative new acquisition program. They oversee our caging vendor with gift processing and acknowledgement, service donor requests, and are a leader in managing the database.
This is a full-time, remotely-located, paid position reporting to the National Director of Development. Compensation offered will be commensurate with experience.
We offer excellent benefits including employer-shared medical and dental insurance premiums, employer-paid short- and long-term disability, life and accidental death & dismemberment insurance, flexible spending account for medical and child care, commuter pre-tax benefit, eligibility to participate in 401K with generous 5% employer match and 100% vested at time of eligibility, 12 paid holidays, 17 PTO days first year, and floating holidays.
This position will primarily be responsible for:
● Manage the direct mail acquisition program which secures 10,000 new donors annually and includes 9
mailings sent to approximately 2.5 million households. Responsibilities include: working with our agency
and list broker on list rental and exchange strategies and reviewing all rentals and exchanges to ensure
they align with Compassion & Choices’ values. Lists also incorporate lapsed donors and other warm lead
contacts from our database. Success requires a rigorous data-driven approach, strong modeling, and
identification of areas for strategic review and reassessment to ensure best possible investment return.
● Manage direct mail house appeals program which includes 8 solicitation and 2 cultivation mailings sent to
60,000 donors at all levels (general,mid-level and majors) annually. Bring forward new ideas to innovate
and advance the program. Work closely with our agency (who in turn manages production partner, data
services vendor, and merge purge vendor), and staff to create, edit, produce all direct mail pieces. Approve
mail plans criteria, artwork, and database input. Meeting strict timelines and tight deadlines is critical to
this program. The successful candidate will be able to keep all elements – and all reviewers/approvers – on
track and on time.
● Responsible for national eblasts to prospects and active donors, renewing and upgrading current donors at
all levels. This entails developing strategies, drafting eblast, targeting/segmenting lists with messaging that
is in-line with soon-to-be-developed donor journey engagement tracks, and tracking results. Work closely
with the Digital Manager.
● Create inclusive strategies and plans to ensure we reach and engage the widest and most diverse possible
audience through our direct mail and national email programs.
● Overall, meet revenue goals and develop/manage a sizable budget with agency, for the following revenue
lines: Acquisition, House Appeals, Middle Donors (1-4.99k), Champions, Membership, Other Income, and
a portion of eFunding.
● Responsible for management of 50,000 gifts received annually. Work closely with the Manager of
Development Services who serves as secondary back-up and collaborator to this position. Oversee caging
vendor handling gift processing and acknowledgement, including tribute gift acknowledgement, and
membership renewal mailings to 5,000 members. Oversee the accuracy of donor and gift data entry, soft
credits, householding, and other data. Manage incoming gifts from sources such as bank wire transfers,
DAF deposits, and other electronic deposits. Work closely with our Accounting department to prepare
reports for auditors and others. Support Development Services Manager in creation of monthly financial
reports and perform cross-checks.
● Serve as the primary point person in Development to field incoming donor requests received daily.
Responsibilities include issuing gift acknowledgement letters, editing or canceling recurring gifts, and
generally responding to, or redirecting, general inquiries that fall under Development.
● To support Compassion & Choices’ strong reputation as a good steward and impactful organization, this
position also manages our charity rating site applications including the Better Business Bureau, Charity
Navigator, Guide Star, etc.
● Support the organization’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion work;
● Complete required related reports in a timely fashion (e.g., expense reports, time cards, performance
reviews, and weekly reports);
● Occasional travel (to retreats, meet with vendors, etc.) totals <5% of time
● Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Qualifications (You will be a good fit):
Education and Experience:
● The successful candidate will have 7+ years of experience in fundraising with significant
experience in direct mail/acquisition. Experience in developing strategies and contributing to
diversify an organization’s donor base will be a significant plus.
● Demonstrated skills and knowledge of donor database/CRM systems (including complex query
and report building, coding, gift structures, hard and soft credits, source codes, logic and
workflows) and other basic functionality is necessary.
● Ability to read, analyze and interpret general communications, database reports, and financial
statements. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from supporters with clarity,
sensitivity, tact, diplomacy, and good judgment.
Values: Must be energized by the idea of working at an organization with the following values:
● Compassionate in our conviction that dying patients should be free of unwanted treatment, suffering or
● Respectful of the autonomy of individuals to decide what end-of-life options are best for them and their
● Courageous in our willingness to confront the toughest end-of-life health challenges, disrupt the broken
status quo and protect an individual’s right to self-determination.
● Credible in all our education, advocacy and partnerships — our efforts are grounded in objective research
and demonstrable facts.
● Resilient in our capacity to respond to opportunities and threats in the movement so that we can achieve
our vision as quickly as possible.
How to Apply:
Email current resume and cover letter as one PDF document to Jobs@CompassionAndChoices.org.
In the subject line of your email, indicate “Last_First Name, SMDMDE 04-2022”. In your cover letter, please (1) indicate how your personal philosophy aligns with our mission, (2) provide a brief summary of your directly related experience, and (3) provide your salary expectation (with a specific amount/range vs ‘negotiable’). Questions about the position may be directed to Jobs@compassionandchoices.org.
About Compassion & Choices Across the nation, Compassion & Choices works to create a society that affirms life and accepts the inevitability of death, embraces expanded options for compassionate dying, and empowers everyone to choose end-of-life care that reflects their values, priorities and beliefs. To make this vision a reality, we improve care, expand options and empower everyone to chart their end-of-life journey.
Compassion & Choices is committed to building a staff that reflects the diverse communities that make up our country. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and recruit, hire, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to age, color, creed, disability, economic status, ethnic identity, gender identity, national origin race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veterans status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Mid Level
Job Function : Development
Location : Position is Remoted
Salary Range : $85,000-$100,000