Senior Staff Attorney
Senior Staff Attorney
Portland, Washington D.C., Remote
Position: Senior Staff Attorney
Location: Portland, Washington D.C., Remote
Salary: $95,000 - $105,000
Compassion & Choicesis seeking a Senior Staff Attorney to help advance our medical outreach and education efforts across the country.
This position is primarily responsible for a significant amount of litigation including: research and writing, litigation coordination and advancement, direct client contact, screening and other administrative tasks as needed.
This is a full-time, Portland/Washington D.C./remotely-located, paid position reporting to the Chief Legal Advocacy Officer/General Counsel. Compensation offered will be commensurate with experience.
We offer excellent benefits including employer-shared medical and dental insurance premiums, employer-paid short- and long-term disability, life and accidental death & dismemberment insurance, flexible spending account for medical and child care, commuter pre-tax benefit, eligibility to participate in 401K with generous 5% employer match and 100% vested at time of eligibility, 9 paid holidays, 17 PTO days first year, and floating holidays
This position will primarily be responsible for:
● Driving litigation matters forward in conjunction with C&C staff, cooperating attorneys and allied organizations.
● Representing a client or Compassion & Choices at committee, commission, council, legislative, professional and community meetings.
● Providing oral and written legal advice and opinions.
● Drafting, reviewing and amending correspondence, complaints, motions, answers, memoranda, agenda, reports, written opinions, and other documents.
● Identifying claims, interviewing clients and witnesses, and directing factual investigations in order to formulate defense or to advance legal action.
● Participating in all phases of civil litigation including at the trial and appellate levels.
● Maintaining calendars and docketing information for litigation and other matters.
Preferred Qualifications (You will be a good fit):
Education and Experience:
● Law degree from accredited university
● Active law license from US jurisdiction
● A minimum of 7 years of professional legal experience, preferably in affirmative issue advocacy litigation with a preference for experience in health law and policy, patient rights, civil litigation in human rights or civil liberties, criminal defense and state and federal constitutional law.
● Strong preference for experience with reproductive or LGBT rights litigation that will provide crossover knowledge and expertise.
● Familiarity with the pro bono practices and public interest contributions of large law firms desired.
● Superb legal analysis
● Excellent oral and written communication
● Ability to work independently and as part of a team
● High level attention to detail; ability to meet all deadlines.
● Computer Skills: Familiarity with Westlaw and Microsoft Office suite
How to Apply:
Email current resume and cover letter as one PDF document to HR@CompassionAndChoices.org. In the subject line of your email, indicate “Last_First Name, SSA 11-2020”. In your cover letter, please (1) indicate how your personal philosophy aligns with our mission, (2) provide a brief summary of your directly related experience, and (3) provide your salary expectation (with a specific amount/range vs ‘negotiable’). Questions about the position may be directed to HR@compassionandchoices.org.
About Compassion & Choices
Across the nation, Compassion & Choices works to create a society that affirms life and accepts the inevitability of death, embraces expanded options for compassionate dying, and empowers everyone to choose end-of-life care that reflects their values, priorities and beliefs. To make this vision a reality, we improve care, expand options and empower everyone to chart their end-of-life journey.
Compassion & Choices is committed to building a staff that reflects the diverse communities that make up our country. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and recruit, hire, train, promote, and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to age, color, creed, disability, economic status, ethnic identity, gender identity, national origin race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veterans status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Link to Job Description: https://compassionandchoices.org/about-us/employment
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Masters
Experience Level : Mid to Senior Level
Job Function : Legal / Compliance
Nonprofit or Corporate : Nonprofit Organization
Location : Portland, Washington D.C., Remote